Mandatory Training on August 22
Sterling Youth Soccer Association invites its players to an introduction to soccer refereeing with the continuation of a unique Jr. Referee program called Referee In Training (Ref-IT). This is an SYSA in-house program designed to offer young players an opportunity to experience refereeing and decide whether they want to pursue formal certification as a USSF Referee.
Ref-IT Program Eligibility Requirements:
1. Attend the mandatory classroom session noted below on March 20 (only offering)
2. Attend a mandatory field training session one evening the week of April 7 (exact date is not confirmed yet but will be advertised during the classroom training)
3. Be on an SYSA U13 or U14 Recreational or Travel team this Spring 2012 season
4. Be willing to referee U6 and U7 games on Saturdays
5. Purchase an official referee uniform (approximate cost is $40)
6. Monitor email regularly and have online computer access to sign up for games through SYSA’s self assignment system
If you meet the above eligibility requirements and have not been a Ref-IT before, you are invited to participate in SYSA’s Ref-IT program. The training is provided free of charge by SYSA’s Referee Mentor and Referee Assignors. The training will provide all information needed including uniform purchase requirements. You do not have to pre-register for the training. Just attend the classroom and field training if interested to see if you think this is for you.
Mandatory Classroom Training:
¬∑ Date: Monday, March 20 (this is the only session so you MUST attend)
¬∑ Time: 7-9 pm
¬∑ Location: Cascades Library
Mandatory Field Training:
¬∑ Date: several options will be provided the weeknights of April 7
¬∑ Time: 5:30- 7:30
¬∑ Location: NOVA soccer field complex
If you are a current Ref-IT and on a U13/14/15 SYSA team, you do NOT have to attend this training again but may return for the Spring season as a returning Ref-IT.
If you were a Ref-IT last season and are now on a U16 team, you are no
longer eligible and must now get USSF certified to work older games.